Saturday, July 28, 2012

50 Shades of Dirt Part 1

All hair blogs talk about how to brush, comb, style and maintain long hair. We go over the ins and outs of products and accessories to try/avoid. Every now and then a blogger will cover the "Dos and Don'ts" of washing one's hair and NONE cover about how to take care of a Long hair's best friend: the vacuum.

I've heard statements from longhairs on how vacuums don't last unless said vacuum costs about the same as a small pony. Others swear by the superawesome Dyson (Hey, even shorthairs happen to like this vacuum, and I drool over it, but damn it I can't afford something that pricey. So until I can lay the golden turd, I make do with what I have.) blah blah blah...

No.

You don't need some mega-super-amazing-fantastically-fabulous-state of the art-vacuum. You just need to know how to maintain it!

Now, I have one of these:


and while I *love* and hate the damned thing, it has lasted me well over four years. I've heard of people replacing their $100+ machines every YEAR. Short AND long hair alike! Must be nice. -.-

Most vacuums are different and you'll have to take a look at your own personal machine's manual but the main concept is still the same.

A lot of the times, hoses will clog, and the brush bar at the bottom becomes jammed with hair. Lots of it. Disgusting amounts of it. Most people don't understand what's wrong with the machine and keep using it until the belt burns out (and in some cases, the motor).  Often most people will check the main hose and leave it at that.

What I do, is start from the bottom. -- Now, unplug the damned thing first before you electrocute yourself, gentle reader. Unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing.-- Lay the vacuum on the floor so you can see the bottom. With a phillips screw, remove all the screws holding the guard in place (Now, the Mega Awesome Dyson has a button that spits it out. JEALOUS!).

"Please be gentle with me!" Bessie exclaimed. "It has been such a long time since last you touched me."
"Aren't I always?" Raul purred, pulling at her bindings.

Remove the guard and set it aside with all the little screws in a place neither husband, child nor cat can get it.
"Oh, Raul. I feel so...exposed! Oh!"

Pull out the bar. Put the belt aside along with the screws and guard.
"Bessie, my love, I shan't neglect you thus. " Raul murmured.

With a pair of scissors, or an exacto knife, cut off the wads of hair.

And in a few short strokes from Raul, Bessie felt her release explode without warning.

Bessie's pent up urges were to be met 'lest both their loins homes caught fire.
[Wait, what am I talking about again?]

"Oh. Raul! You're AMAZING!" Bessie whimpered.

Replace the belt, bar and guard. Viola!




Now sometimes, our beloved partners would have sucked up something they shouldn't have and there is a clog somewhere.

Find out where the main hose is attached, unhook it. While standing, hold the hose so it hangs down in a straight line, unbent anywhere. Often most, a large marble, ben wa ball or a giant toe nail clipper will be able to push the clog out without problems. Sometimes, you just have to use a broom handle.


Before you pull out the big guns to clear the clog, try to see where the clog is first. Most hoses are somewhat transparent (yes, even the black ones) and a bit of light can illuminate where the clog is. Its like candling an egg. Like this:



You can usually see the main clog this way. If you see a bobby pin in there, have someone help you by stretching out the hose until its less accordion looking. This prevents the sharp/pointy thing from catching and puncturing the hose. Toss in the heavy item of choice (ben wa balls are really good for this, fyi!)

Check your filters. If they're not properly secured, the machine wont' suck. 

Sometimes, not very often though, the clog is in the intake hose which is located BEHIND the bar. If this is the case, unscrew the hose from the back of the machine, straighten it out and use a broom handle to push the clog out. 


Put everything back and viola, you're done! 


PS: With my hip long hair I need to do this monthly or else I end up with the gross mess pictured above. I hadn't cleaned up the vacuum since.. oh.. February. :\

No comments:

Post a Comment