Sunday, September 9, 2012

Silver and Onyx

I was having a somewhat 'off' day, what with the menstrual cramps and irritability getting in the way  of pleasantries. Add to that that I hadn't quite eaten on time and it was a recipe for disaster.

"Oh my god! You got a MONDO grey hair! Let me pull it out!"

"God, no, leave it alone!" As I spoke I jerked my head back, slapping his hand away.  "I have another one at the side of my temple too, and don't you dare pluck it!"

"Why not?"

"Because. And before you start saying anything about me going old, women in my family gray young."

Whatever. The truth is they don't. Time seems to pass the women in my family to the point that we resemble little insects stuck in amber. Decades skip by, tap us on the shoulder and then skips on by again.  Despite the weight gain, and the two or so feet of hair plus, I look remarkably the same as I did in High School. Except with a slight wardrobe change as I no longer wear my beloved dog collars.. not because I don't want to, I simply haven't gotten around to replace them.

But despite the fact that my graying is a somewhat anomaly, I'm not concerned about it. If anything, it has given me a slight glimpse into the future and it is one I'm quite fond of.

See, growing up I had an obsession with my Gammy's silver waves. Her hair wasn't white. It wasn't gray. It was *silver* complete with the sparkling dimensions whenever she moved her head. Despite the fact that she was nearing 90, she still had a nice chunk of black hair streaking through to the point that it looked like her silvers were turning back unto their original color.

And my mother, although the silver has now taken over the onyx, looks the same. Her hair too looks like its turning back to its original color with a few exceptions around her temple.

It looks like my few 'grays' are actually silver and I am looking forward to the fact that my maternal genes have kicked in and beaten the crap out of my father's dingy gray locks. (Hey, he's still a fucking handsome man, you hear? He may be much thinner than he once was and slightly bent over, but he's still a looker!)

Although I'm not too thrilled over the fact that I'm two years away from turning 30 and already begun to loose color. Then again, that may be Grandmother's genes kicking in pretty bad again. One of her children was completely silver by the time he was 34.

No comments:

Post a Comment