Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Battle of the Detangling Brush!

ETA: 10/22/13 I had pictures ready to load onto the blog but I had a computer crash. I lost all my blog pictures, my programs and meh. I'll just have to take new ones. Its not that difficult, I'm just in a lazy mood. It doesn't help that I'm in the process of selling an old desk and setting up a new dresser from Ikea, and my dishwasher broke. I'm telling you, GREMLINS.

Now, as far as any of my reviews go, I have [b] never been given any product directly from the manufacturer for the sole purpose of reviewing. [/b]. I work for a company that handles a lot of beauty products so I get free stuff for whatever reason.

Either we have excess, the item is discontinued or for some reason or another the product simply does not meet our standards. Too new, patent pending, marketing doesn't think it fits our demographic, its strange, what have you. 

So, here goes. I'm only taking off points out of 10

Round 1

The name. 

Tangle Teezer -- Okay, I get it. Its a pun on the 'tease' as in, easing something out. It tells me its suppose to be gentle on tangles and help ease them out instead of tearing through them. 
The "Wet" Brush -- Is it supposed to be a dry brush only, meaning as it only supposed to be used on dry hair or can it be used on wet hair too? The quotations are throwing me off as they are often use to mark a spoken conversation or at times, used to denote deadpan sarcasm. 

Score: Tangle Teezer (10), "Wet" Brush (10)

Round 2

Construction. 

The TT 
  • While it is fatter, and therefore 'larger' than the 'The "Wet" Brush' (henceforth WB), it is hollow. It is composed of two piece of plastic, the top being the dome 'handle' and the bottom, being the bristles.
  • The bristles are composed of one solid piece of plastic of different shape. You got long bristles and short bristles. 
  • These bristles are firm but quite bendy so it pulls a knot on the hair. However, it bends backward before it actually tugs at the hair making the knot tighter. The longer bristles pull at knots toward the center of the section of hair. The shorter ones onto the surface knots. 
  • The bristles are so pliable I can brush my hair the way a person intuitively uses a brush, even when my hair is wet and tangled. Meaning, I start from root to tip. It doesn't tug, pull or snag my hair.
  • I have a tender head. Sometimes, when using firmer bristles I hurt my own head. Not with the TT.
  • It takes about 2-5 minutes to detangle my TBL, m, ii/iii hair. (that is Tail Bone Length, medium strand, thicker than average but not super thick dense hair.) That's a feat as it can take about fifteen to twenty with my fingers alone and a good ten with a wide toothed comb. 
 - It doesn't have a handle so when my carpal tunnel is acting up really bad and I'm wearing my brace, I cannot use it. I *can* use it when I don't wear a brace in the instance I do lose it -- which is quite often. So I guess its a weird pro-negative. 

Wait, that's a wash isn't it? Not really a negative unless I've been stupid with the video games/drawing. 

- I cannot use it to brush my hair up into a bun/pony tail. The bristles are just not firm enough to carry all the hair from the scalp to the center of my head. I can sometimes make it work by re-brushing the underside (nape to ear area) until I can feel all the layers of the hair are laying flat against my scalp. But not so much when my hair is close to wash day. At that point my hair is just too thick and unmanageable.  (I wash my hair once ever 5-7 days. I start getting grease ball headed around day 5 or 6 depending how hot it is.)


WB
  • It is super light. 
  • It has a handle on the days when my carpal has gotten so bad I need to wear a brace. Basically it comes in super handy post video game binging.
  • I like the material the back and handle is composed of. It is firm like plastic just soft like silicone. I want to say it is almost velvety. I sometimes sit there and run my fingers across the handle. I'm a highly tactile individual, so  I find this a total plus. 
  • The bristles are long and super bendy.
  • I can gather ALL my hair to the top of my head without either a) having to bend over at the waist or b) having to re-brush the nape to make sure the bottom isn't bent and gathered in places. 
  • It is amazing with knots on dry hair! 
- It is composed of three parts : A handle, a cushion and bristles. This three-part construction means there are three places my hair can get caught in. In the seam between the handle and the cushion, in the area where the bristles poke through the cushion (though honestly, it is really well made in this point so I can see this only becoming a problem when it gets older) and where the ball tip is glued onto the bristle. Again, this last point only becomes an issue with wear and tear but quite frankly, for a brush this expensive, I expect it to last a LONG ass time and perhaps, not even need a replacement unless something happens to it, like.. I break it.

-Its handle is super thin and not ergonomically friendly like the TT. When I feel a flare up coming, this brush actually hurts me when I use it.

- While the bristles are forgiving, yet firm, they are all the same length. There is no real give when a knot happens to cross the path of the brush. Most of the time it detangles easy but sometimes... it pulls, the knot tightens and then it hurts. 

- I cannot, CANNOT, use this brush on my wet hair. Even if I start from the bottom and work my way up, it simply tugs too hard. It hurts my scalp and I end up shedding a lot more than I do with the TT. I don't have this issue when my hair is dry, though.

Score: TT (9), WB (5) 

Round 3

weight

TT & WB:  They're both super light. Heavier than a plastic barber comb and lighter than a goodie travel brush. 

They actually weigh the same. 

Score: TT (9), WB (5)

Winner:  TANGLE TEEZER 

ding, ding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment